What an impact year we had at Training Grounds this year! Our team has worked tirelessly to build transformational experiences for our communities. Check out some highlights of our work this year.
- We graduated 4 cohorts of jobseekers from our Training Grounds to Work, workforce development program. Participants sat through intensive personal and professional development training where they earned credentials in Worth Ethics. Participants in the Construction cohorts earned OSHA 10, Flagger, and CPR certifications. Participants in the Hospitality cohorts earned Customer Service and ServeSafe Food Handlers Certifications. 67% of these completers have obtained either full-time or part-time employment.
- 163 job seekers received assistance with Career Readiness Services such as resume development, supportive service referral, and/or career coaching
- Are you looking for a quality employee? Contact us today.
- This year, we also launched our eSports for PEACE initiative, by opening up a Gaming Lab for youth to showcase their video gaming skills while participating in personal development training and exploring career pathways.
- Our Love Management Team supported a care load of 112 at-risk youth and young adults who have each received elevations in their personal transformation by either obtaining employment, decreasing involvement in high-risk activities, and/or connecting to life-stabilizing resources that led to stable housing, increased income, enhanced employability, vital support services such as mental health & physical wellness assistance.
- Training Grounds’ Operation Safe Weekend Initiative was designed to engage at-risk individuals in positive and constructive experiences that aim to keep them safe during times when they are more susceptible to engaging in negative behavior. This year, our team was able to facilitate 32 Operation Safe Weekend hours, contributing to more than 1200- safe hours for participants.
- Biz-N-Hoops our youth leadership basketball league that ran late at night on weekends with the aim to keep our children engaged in safe and positive experiences. This year, we hosted two leagues at Deanwood and Kenilworth Recreation Centers, where 147 young people between the ages of 11 and 17 competed for the championship title.
- In partnership with The Basketball Group, Training Grounds hosted two basketball combines that connected more than 100 high-school athletes and received over $ 1 million in scholarships to universities across the country!
- Our team was able to support 82 families by providing care packages of clothes, groceries, and bill payments.
- This year, our Violence Prevention Team successfully facilitated 13 peacemaking activities between conflicting individuals/groups who, as a result of our intervention, agreed to not inflict harm on one another.
- Through our Therapeutic Services program, we hosted six trauma-informed workshops that taught techniques for healing from unresolved trauma. Facilitators lead an average of 84 individuals through weekly therapeutic group sessions.
- We celebrated the 10th anniversary of our Live In Peace not Rest In Peace Initiative by hosting a Live In Peace Forum in Southwest, DC! This interactive event brought residents of all ages together in a thought-provoking discussion about peace and unity in their community.
- In partnership with Love Button Global Movement the non-profit organization of seven-time Grammy-winning rock band Coldplay we fed over 300 people out of our Martin Luther King Jr. Ave site, in the Ward 8 community. This event was also supported by the men of the Omega Psi Phi DC Chapter and Kitchen Savages Restaurant.
- In an act of solidarity, comedians Huggy Lowdown, Chris Paul, Timmy Hall, and Judge Poole, partnered to celebrate TGI’s 17th Anniversary during the Laugh-In-Peace Comedy Show Fundraiser at THEARC Theater. Check out the event highlights below.
None of this would be possible without the help of an amazing team, dynamic partners, and faithful supporters. We thank you all for helping to make 2022 such a transformational year!